Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Conversation About Measure W

This morning, I ran into my friend Chris at a coffee shop in downtown Fullerton and we got talking about Coyote Hills.  I explained how Fullerton voters have the chance to block Chevron's latest development project of the last large open space in North Orange County, by voting No on Measure W.


"The problem," I said, "Is that Chevron (being a multi-billion dollar oil company) has nearly limitless resources to put out ads, PR campaigns, and fancy mailers praising the virtues of their development plan."

"Aside from the people with a vested financial interest, who would support the development?" Chris asked.

"Lots of people," I said, "I went to a candidate forum last week, and 8 out of the 12 candidates running for city council were supportive of Measure W."

"Why?!" Chris asked incredulously.

"I suspect Chevron (aka Pacific Coast Homes) contributed to some of their campaigns, or they are friends with Chevron PR people, or they are just philosophically opposed to environmentalism.  Oil companies have a long history in Fullerton of embedding themselves into circles of influence."

The "Yes on W" campaign fails to mention 760 houses and a shopping center .
Chris was shaking his head in sadness and disbelief.

"What's worse," I continued, "Is that as part of their development proposal, Chevron plans to build an 'interpretive center' to teach school children about the native plant and animal life that they have displaced and/or destroyed."

Chris's jaw dropped.

"That is pure evil," he said, "They are like Mr. Burns."

"Exactly," I said, "They are like Mr. Burns."