Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Amazing Buildings of F. Hundertwasser

Lately, I've been working on editing an episode of my internet show Book Talk, in which my friend Ted Trager discusses his zine "Twenty Dudes."  In this zine, Ted has drawn various artists, writers, musicians, philosophers, and architects he finds interesting.  One of the "dudes" is an Austrian painter/architect named Friedensreich Hundertwasser.


I'd never heard of this guy before Ted told me about him, but in editing the video, I googled his name and saw pictures of some of the buildings he designed, and they totally blow my mind.  According to Ted, Hundertwasser "abhorred 90 degree angles" so his buildings are organic, and have the quality of fluid paintings.  Here are some of them.  It makes me happy to know that these buildings exist in the world: