Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Dream About the End of the World

I don't know if it's because it's 2012 or because I've been reading a lot of science fiction, but last night I had a really scary dream about the end of the world.

It was not aliens or nuclear bombs or an asteroid or the wrath of God that did us in, but a slowly heating planet. The earth was becoming slowly hotter and thus more unlivable. You could go outside at night, but during the day it was like a really bad day in Death Valley, and it was getting worse.

There was an aura of inevitable doom about the dream. I was filled with a sickening dread, just waiting for the end. I woke up before the world actually ended, but I had lost all hope. Everyone had.

It reminded me of that T.S. Eliot quote: "This is the way the world ends, this is the way the world ends, this is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper."

Photobucket