Saturday, April 14, 2012

Apathy vs. Empathy: The CSUF Social Justice Summit

Saturdays are usually my "lazy days" where I lay around sleeping and watching movies. After a busy week of teaching and a late Friday night of DJing, I am usually pretty beat come Saturday. But this Saturday, at the urging of my friend Josue, I went to the SOCIAL JUSTICE SUMMIT at Cal State Fullerton.

Photobucket

The goal of the event is to "Share strategies, learn from community leaders, and become an active participant in the democratic process through community service, civic engagement, advocacy, and social justice." It's basically a assault of ideas, inspiration, and awareness of real social problems, both around the world, and right here in our own communities. I was very glad I went. I learned about lots of ways I can become more active and aware. I decided to share what I discovered with you, in case you feel powerless to make a difference in the world. Here are a few organizations you can check out, many of whom operate right here in Orange County. Click the name of the organization below each picture to learn about what they do...

Photobucket

JUSTICE FOR KELLY THOMAS

Photobucket

PEOPLE AGAINST TRAFFICKING AND HUMAN EXPLOITATION

Photobucket

ORANGE COUNTY EQUALITY COALITION

Photobucket

MAKING CHANGE AT WAL-MART

Photobucket

MERCY FOR ANIMALS

Photobucket

THE SIERRA CLUB

Photobucket

CORAZON

Photobucket

HANDS FOR AFRICA

Photobucket

EL CENTRO DE MEXICO EN SANTA ANA

The theme of this year's Summit was "Unite to Rise Above Apathy." Thanks, Josue, for rattling me out of my apathy this Saturday. I 'm totally going to El Centro in Santa Ana on Tuesday.