Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Qur’an Surah 82: The Breaking

The following is from a work-in-progress called The Qur'an: a Book Report, in which I read each surah of the Qur'an and write about what I learn.

As I slowly near the end of the Qur’an, I notice that the surahs are getting shorter and shorter.  Surahs 80-90 are usually 1-2 paragraphs.  Surahs 90-114 (the final surah) are usually only a few lines.  This one, surah 82, is one brief paragraph which very concisely reiterates the key ideas which, by now, should be very familiar to the reader.  Because of its short length, I will simply paraphrase it in my own words:

On the Day of Resurrection, when the sky breaks, the stars are scattered, the seas burst forth, and graves bust open with the resurrected dead, everyone will be judged according to his/her deeds and whether they put their faith in God.  Everyone will be totally at the mercy of God on that final day, when they will be sent to either paradise or torment.

Beware the Day of Resurrection!