Monday, May 27, 2013

How many Orange County State Assembly members can you name?

This evening, I was bored, surfing the web, when I stumbled upon an article about a State Assembly member from Orange County named Allan Mansoor.  This got me thinking: How many Orange County State Assembly members could I name?  Aside from Allan Mansoor, I could only name one: my own representative Sharon Quirk-Silva.  So, I decided to do some research, and find out who our State Assembly members are.  For those of you who don't know, State Assembly is like California's version of the House of Representatives.  We have a State Senate, and we have several state assembly members, who vote on state laws.

Here's a map of all the California State Assembly districts.  If you find this map confusing, you are not alone.  The district lines are often re-drawn.  This is known as "gerrymandering."


And here's a zoomed-in view of Southern California's State Assembly districts:


If you are still confused, don't worry.  I am too.  But, through more research, I have discovered that the districts which encompass Orange County are districts 55, 65, 68, 69, 72, 73, and 74.  It makes perfect sense.  Here are the representatives of each district and a little bit about them which I learned from the internet.

Curt Hagman is the State Assembly member who represents District 55, which includes the cities Brea, Chino Hills, Diamond Bar, Industry, La Habra, Placentia, Rowland Heights, Walnut, West Covina, and Yorba Linda.  Curt was elected in 2008.  He is currently the Assistant Republican Floor Leader (I don't know what that means).  He is on committees that have something to do with insurance, public schools, and money.  He owns a bail bonds business.  You can read all about Curt on his fantastic web site HERE.

Curt Hagman is stocky.

Sharon Quirk-Silva is the State Assembly person from district 65, which includes the cities Buena Park, Cypress, FULLERTON!!!, Hawaiian Gardens, La Palma, Stanton, and part of Anaheim.  Sharon is the only member of State Assembly whom I personally know, because she was mayor of my hometown of Fullerton.  I think Sharon is actually pretty cool.  She comes to community events, she is a teacher, and she is a democrat, so I like her.  You can check out her web site HERE.

Sharon Quirk-Silva is pretty legit.

Donald P. Wagner is the State Assembly person who represents District 68, which includes the cities of Anaheim, Irvine, Lake Forest, Tustin, Orange, North Tustin (different from Tustin?), and Villa Park.  Donand was a past finalist for the Irvine "Citizen of the Year" award, but he did not win.  A different person won.  Donald is a Republican.  You can read all you want to know about Don HERE.  But, truthfully, I read it and it's not that interesting.

Irvine "Citizen of the Year" runner up.

Tom Daly is the State Assembly member who represents District 69, dude!  This district represents the cities of Santa Ana, Anaheim, Garden Grove, and Orange.  At this point, I'm realizing that three different state assembly people represent the city of Anaheim, and I'm wondering why that is.  It seems weird.  Anyway, Tom Daly is a democrat.  Tom's web site is HERE.

Tom Daly has weird hair.

Travis Allen is the State Assembly member who represents the 72nd District, which includes the cities Fountain Valley, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Los Alamitos, Midway City, Rossmoor, Santa Ana, Seal Beach, Sunset Beach, and Westminster.  Did you know that the African American population of Rossmoor is 0.8%?  Travis Allen is a Republican.  His web site is HERE.

Hi, I'm Travis Allen.  Would you like to dance?

Diane Harkey is the State Assembly Member who represents the 73rd District, which includes the cities  Aliso Viejo, Dana Point, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Rancho Santa Margarita, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Camp Pendleton, and Oceanside.  In February of this year, Diane announced that she is running for the Board of Equalization!!!!  I always look forward to that race.  It's gonna be INTENSE.

Judging solely by appearances, I do not trust Diane Harkey.

Allan Mansoor is, I think, the State Assembly member who represents District 74.  That's what his web site says.  But wikipedia says it is someone named Martin Garrick.  I'm pretty sure it's Allan Mansoor, but the fact that wikipedia has not updated their page suggests that no one really gives a shit about Allan Mansoor.

Allan Mansoor, the man wikipedia forgot about.