Monday, April 9, 2012

A "Shout Out" to my readers in Tunisia…

The blog platform I use keeps track of how many people read my blog and where they are from. Today, I noticed that I had three readers in Tunisia, so I decided to write a little "shout out" to my Tunisian readers…

Dear Tunisian Readers of The Internet Web Log of Jesse La Tour,

I imagine things have been pretty tense over there in Tunisia ever since you deposed your president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali last year in the Tunisian Revolution. I want to congratulate you on that revolution. It was probably because of that revolution that you were able to access my blog, as the internet was pretty heavily censored over there for quite a while.

I'm sorry about all the people who were killed and injured in your bone-crunching struggle against a dictatorial government. I thought it was really fucked up how police shot tear gas into a mosque. But you guys persisted and now you have democratic elections and lots of cool stuff we Americans sort of take for granted.

I must admit that I know very little about Tunisia. The goings-on of Tunisia are not popular dinner-time conversation here in the United States of America. To be completely honest, we Americans do a pretty poor job of following the goings on of most other countries. It's really only if we go to war with a country that we start to hear about it, and the info we get is pretty biased against our "enemies."

I just read about your revolution today. You guys are really brave, and you should take pride in the fact that your actions inspired revolutions around the middle east, which I'm sure is both exciting and scary at the same time. I know people are dying every day and it must be hard to hold onto hope that things can be better than they have been in the past. I know you guys have gotten pretty screwed for a couple millennia by the Romans, the Vandals, the Byzantines, the Ottoman Empire, the French. I wouldn't' be surprised if the USA screwed you in the past. We don't really have a good track record in terms of Middle East policy. Anyway, hang in there, Tunisia.

Sincerely,

Jesse La Tour
USA