Thursday, October 6, 2011

Wild Fluctuations in Prescription Costs

The following is an excerpt from a work-in-progress called The Town I Live In.

I do not have health insurance. Four days ago, I picked up three days worth of my anti-depressant Seroquel. It cost $37, about $12 a pill. Yesterday, I picked up 13 days worth, and it cost $37, about $3 a pill.

How is it possible for the price of a prescription to change ONE THOUSAND percent in four days?! It would be like going to the supermarket for a gallon of milk and paying $37 one day and $3 the next. How is this okay? How can this happen?

It happens because one drug company, Astrazeneca, has a monopoly on this product, so they can basically charge whatever they want. Prescription monopolies are completely inhumane, especially considering the fact that over 40 million Americans do not have health insurance, and become victims of this predatory pricing.

Photobucket