Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Dream About Nostalgia

I had a dream where I was with a bunch of friends at a summer camp. Nobody seemed to know exactly why we were there except for me. I believed that we were on a great adventure, where we had to perform a series of tasks in order to get home.

The first was to find a golden ring. Then, we had to use that golden ring to enter a fortress, where we would probably have to fight a monster, and discover the secret of how to get home.

For some reason, I had a very hard time convincing my friends that this was our purpose here. They seemed a little apathetic and were more interested in who was sleeping with whom. In the dream, this was all the more painful for me because I had these vivid memories of having been here before with these friends when we were younger. I would try to remind them, but they could not remember.

Finally, after a lot of searching, we found the golden ring! I said, “See! I’m going to get us home!” They were generally unimpressed. Throughout the dream, I was constantly on the verge of tears. It was a nostalgic and lonely kind of sadness, because whenever I tried to explain myself, trying to make them remember and see that we were on a great adventure, I could not explain myself well. It was like that feeling when you are trying to run in a dream but you are in slow-motion.

We finally found the fortress, but inside there was not a monster, but a roller rink. People were skating around, and most people were less concerned with discovering the secret of how to get home, and more concerned with how well they were skating, and how they looked. Finally, I found the secret. There was a nearby beach with sailboats, and those ships would take us home.

As we climbed in the sailboats and started sailing home, I started crying again. Again I tried to explain to a friend why I was so sad, but I could not find the words. And then I woke up.

Photobucket