Friday, November 20, 2015

The Qur'an Surah 95: The Fig

The following is from a work-in-progress called The Qur'an: a Book Report, in which I read each surah of the Qur'an and write about what I learn.

This is a Meccan surah which I will quote in its entirety, because it is really short:

"By the fig, by the olive, by Mount Sinai, by this safe city [Mecca], We created man in the finest state then reduced him to the lowest of the low, but those who believe and do good deeds will have an unfailing reward.  After this, what makes you deny the Judgment [the Day of Resurrection]?  Is God not the fairest of judges?"

Not long ago, I had a conversation with a Christian friend who asked me how Muslims are "saved."  I replied that salvation, for Muslims, is a combination of faith in God and good deeds.  Protestant Christianity has omitted the second part of this formula.  For Protestants (including evangelicals), salvation is not a matter of good deeds--it is strictly a matter of faith in Jesus.  To be honest, I prefer a religious system which prioritizes good deeds.

Figs.