Monday, May 4, 2015

Fullerton Railroad Days!

One of my favorite annual events in Fullerton is Railroad Days, a celebration of all things train-related that takes place right next to the Fullerton Train Station.  From the very beginning, Fullerton has been a "train town" -- named after George Fullerton, who worked for the Santa Fe Railroad.  I went to Railroad Days this past Sunday, and took some pictures of what I saw...


They had a real live steam engine!  Most trains these days are diesel.



One of the most interesting parts of Railroad Days is the big tent filled with model trains.  I think this is a fascinating subculture.  In my pictures, I tried to capture both the elaborate miniature models and the people who built them...









This was my favorite -- someone built a scale model of the Fullerton Train Depot!


Several train-based organizations were present at the event, like the Orange County Garden Railway Society.


Model railroading seems to be a subculture dominated by old dudes.  I'm sure I'll get into it someday...


The famous caboose tour!






Thank you, Fullerton Railroad Days, for brightening my Sunday afternoon.  See you next year!