Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Eviction of Fullerton's Homeless Tent City

Yesterday I visited Fullerton's homeless tent city, a makeshift community near the old Hunt Branch Library, because I heard the police were kicking everybody out.  This news disturbed me on two levels 1.) The very fact that a community as seemingly affluent as Fullerton even has a large tent city on its periphery and 2.) The fact that the community's solution to the homeless problem is to simply displace people.  I don't claim to have the answer to this social problem, but I think the city of Fullerton should have had a more viable solution that what it did.  

I rode my bike down to the camp as people were being evacuated.  I took my video camera, and met my friend and roommate Josue there.  Josue was taking pictures.  I wanted to see this for myself, and to document it.  What I saw affected me very deeply.  As I walked along the camp, I felt like I was in a war zone or a developing country, not Orange County.  I am told that various charitable groups and foundations were there earlier, helping people pack up and offering temporary aid, but when I got there (around 5pm) none of these groups were there.  I spoke with a few of the homeless people, and the general feeling was a mixture of anger and hopelessness.  I am still in the process of editing the video footage I took, but in the meantime here are some of Josue's photographs.






















1 comment:

  1. Great job JESSE- a great example of an uncreative and careless approach to an intractable problem - much like the mess the Cat in the Hat tries to clean up, it just disperses and often grows in the process.
    One gent I have been following had his RV seized even though he had a friend ready to drive it away or at least hold the pink slip after a warrant for "evading" appeared on his record ran. By ugly coincidence a key member of the homeless task-force is related to the owner of the Fullerton Tow yard that seized the "camper" home, leaving him on the street (and ticketed twice in the last two weeks for being homeless!)
    Bad Form Fullerton!
    Signed - Jon of Advocates for the Homeless nightrighter777@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete