Monday, May 6, 2013

LOVE. SEX. UNITY. RESPECT. documentary

The current art show at the Magoski Arts Colony, LOVE. SEX. UNITY. RESPECT. is the largest art show we've ever attempted in our three years so far.  Because of the scale of the show, and the sheer number of people involved, I've decided to film everything: the set up, the organization and community outreach efforts, the artists, the opening receptions, the AIDS Walk, the community response, and all the groups and people who have contributed to the show.


I was prompted to do this by my friend Michael Magoski, who has encouraged me to document the goings-on of the Colony.  At first, I told the show organizer, Steve Baxter, that I would make a short promotional film, but I soon realized that the film was evolving into something more than just a youtube short.  It's evolving into what I think will be a feature-length documentary.

Unlike our typical art shows that involve a handful of artists and their work, this show involves 100 artists, local organizations like The Center OC, the OC AIDS Walk, the University of California, Irvine, Fullerton College students and instructors, over 100 real-life same-sex couples, activists (past and present), elected officials, etc.  We even have some photos on loan from the Kinsey Institute.

I've never attempted to make a feature-length documentary.  I don't really know how.  But as with the art show itself, my shortcomings will not stop me from doing it.  As my teaching semester ends, and summer break approaches, this film project will become my full-time deal for the next few months, or however long it takes me.  I will probably be releasing fragments of the film online as I complete them. In some sense, I don't know what I'm doing, but as T.S. Eliot said, "There is only the trying."  I feel compelled to try.  And so I will try.  Here's the ten-minute short I made initially: