Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Book Talk: Love

Because I'm an English teacher and a total nerd for books, I've created an internet show called "Book Talk" in which I invite guests to talk about books with me.  I'm a firm believer in the power of books to clarify ideas and to inspire new thoughts.  I realize that we live in a culture in which fewer and fewer people read books as a regular part of their lives.  One of the main reasons I created Book Talk is to use a popular medium (video) to show people the riches to be found in good books.

So far, I've done three episodes.  In the first, me and Michael Magoski talked about Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi novel Dune.  Click HERE to watch that episode.  In the second episode, I discussed a local publication called Barrio Writers with Michael Magoski and Ricardo Gonsalves.  Click HERE to watch that one.  In the most recent episode, we talked about how books and art relate to the theme of Love.  I talked about a 19th century novel called Ramona.


Ricardo talked about a book called The Art of Loving by psychoanalyst Erich Fromm.


Michael talked about Dune (he's kind of obsessed, in a good way).


My friend Stephen Baxter talked about an art show he's curating called LOVE.  SEX.  UNITY. RESPECT.


Throughout the episode, Vince Morgan (the filmographer) was watching a movie called Koyaanisqatsi (Life out of Balance).  My friend Josue Rivas also helped with the filming.



Also, we had live music by local artists Mangular and Mandie B & Lonnie B.

All in all, it was a great show.  You can watch it right here:


Tune in for the next episode of book talk in which me, Michael Magoski, and (hopefully) Gustavo Arellano discuss the novel The Barbarian Nurseries!  I wrote a book report about this wonderful novel which you can read HERE.