Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Servant-Leader Vs. The Ego-Leader


With a Fullerton city council recall election fast approaching whose motto is "End Failed Leadership," I have found myself thinking about leadership lately.  I suppose I have become, in my own sphere, a kind of leader, and the past few years have taught me a few things about what makes a good leader.

Based on my experiences and observations, there are two basic types of leader: The Servant-Leader and the Ego-Leader.  Most people, if they are honest with themselves, fall somewhere on the spectrum between these two poles.

The Servant-Leader's chief qualities are humility and selflessness.  A Servant-Leader sees his role as making life better for others.  This type of leader sees greatness as a result of what he/she gives, rather than what he/she gets.  I strive to be a Servant-Leader.

The Ego-Leader's chief qualities are arrogance and a desire for power.  An Ego-Leader sees his role as making life better for himself.  This type of leader sees greatness as a result of what he gets rather than what he gives.  I fight the tendency in myself to be an Ego-Leader.

As I consider who to vote for in the Fullerton Recall Election, I will vote for those people whom I perceive to be Servant-Leaders.  So far, I like Jane Rands and Matt Rowe.  I am undecided about the rest.