Monday, November 28, 2011

Barroom Monologue

The following is an excerpt from a work-in-progress called The Town I Live In.

"I never went to college. It wasn't for me. After high school, I packed up and moved to Las Vegas. I graduated from the school of Las Vegas life. But I was always a good speller. I was the best speller in my school all the way through high school. I won all the spelling bees. I beat Mark Dannemeyer every year, even though he was Valedictorian and went to some ivy league school and now he's a big lawyer or some shit. I beat him every time. I hated school, but I could spell like a motherfucker. I got my real estate license. I was working for this finance company and everyone would ask me all the time, 'How do you spell this?' And I would tell them. Sometimes when I was in the shitter, I would sit and read the fuckin air freshener can, cus what else am I gonna do in there? And, you know what? I found spelling errors on that goddammed can."