Sunday, October 9, 2011

Limes from Judith

The following is an excerpt from a work-in-progress called The Town I Live In.

Sometimes, in a lazy or depressed mood, I will lay around on the couch for too long. Often, when I make the effort to get up and do something, even if it is simply to take a walk, I will feel better. I will see someone I know, or get inspired with an idea. Tonight, after laying on the couch for too long, I decided to get up and take a walk.

I walked past my neighbor Judith's house. I always like walking past her house, because she has a beautiful garden. Tonight, she was in her garden, picking limes from her lime tree.

"Hi, Judith," I said.

She looked at me, picked a few limes, and gave them to me.

"Here you go," she said.

"Thanks," I said, and continued on with my walk. I smiled to myself, holding four limes. A gift.

Photobucket