Monday, October 17, 2011

Dialogue With a Petition Signature-Gatherer on a Public Street Corner

The following is an excerpt from a work-in-progress called The Town I Live In.

Petition Signature-Gatherer: Are you a registered voter?

Me: Yes.

Petition Signature-Gatherer: Would you like to sign a petition?

Me: What is it for?

Petition Signature-Gatherer: It's to lower car insurance.

Me: That sounds good. Do you have the full text of the proposed proposition?

Petition Signature-Gatherer: No.

Me: Can you tell me where I can find the full text, so I can make an informed decision before I sign?

Petition Signature-Gatherer: I'm not sure.

Me: Have you read the full text of the proposed proposition?

Petition Signature-Gatherer: No.

Me: If you haven't read it, why are you out here gathering signatures?

Petition Signature-Gatherer: Because I get paid.

Me: In that case, I'd prefer not to sign your petition.

Photobucket