Sunday, October 23, 2011

An Angry Rant

The following is an excerpt from a work-in-progress called The Town I Live In.

Up until now, I have attempted to present my findings about the history of Fullerton in a factual and somewhat objective manner, although I certainly have my own biases and opinions.

But the more I read about the politics, history and culture of this place, the more depressed and angry I get. So, dear readers, please indulge this one angry rant of a heartbroken and concerned resident:

HOW CAN THERE BE SO MANY CHURCHES AND SO MUCH RACIAL AND ECONOMIC SEGREGATION IN THIS TOWN? HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?! IF JESUS CAME TO TOWN, I THINK HE WOULD WEEP.

WHERE DOES ALL THIS RACISM COME FROM?!

THE FACT THAT FULLERTON, TO THIS DAY, HAS MANAGED TO KEEP THE AFRICAN AMERICAN POPULATION AROUND ONE PERCENT MAKES ME WANT TO CRY AND SCREAM!

CONSUMER CULTURE, THE CULTURE OF STATUS ACHIEVED BY WHO HAS THE BIGGEST HOUSE OR MOST EXPENSIVE CAR, MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE.

THE FACT THAT, ON A FRIDAY NIGHT, FULLERTON BARS CAN TAKE IN HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WHILE AN ART GALLERY DOESN'T SELL ONE SINGLE PRINT MAKES ME WANT TO SLASH MY WRISTS AND WRITE ON THE WALLS WITH MY BLOOD, "I DON'T GET PAID FOR THIS. I DO THIS FOR YOU. HELP ME."

In spite of all this, perhaps because of all this, I will walk with you, Fullerton, because I believe in my heart that we can do better.