Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"Dude, you look like the guy from The Hangover!"

A Conversation in The Continental Room:

Drunk guy: Dude, you look like the guy from The Hangover!

Me: Yeah, I've heard that before.

Drunk guy: (to his friends) Dude, it's Alan!

Me: Okay, here's my problem with that: you are the 387th person to say that.

Drunk guy: Alan!

Me: You know, there are a lot of other good films out there. Are you familiar with the 1960s French New Wave films of Jean-Luc Godard?

Drunk guy: Dude, I wasn't even born then.

Me: Neither was I. But the magic of film is that it is preserved for posterity. Are you a fan of the existentialist films of Ingmar Bergman?

Drunk guy: (takes a drink)

Me: Or the Russian cinema? I adore Sergei Eisenstein. Battleship Potemkin is a masterpiece.

Drunk guy: Later, dude.

Me: Later guys. Check out Godard! He's really fantastic!